The mission of the Office of Veterans' Affairs is to be the advocate for the state's 413,000 veterans in all matters that pertain to veterans.
- Inform veterans, families and survivors of benefits
- Initiate and process veterans' claims for benefits
- Manage the South Carolina Free Tuition Program
- Manage the South Carolina State Veterans' Cemetery in Anderson, SC
- Assist in the management of the South Carolina Veterans' nursing homes
- Update and maintain the South Carolina "War Roster"
- Coordinate the South Carolina Veterans Advocacy Council
- Respond to inquiries regarding the veterans' benefits
- Administer the South Carolina Miltiary Family Relief Fund
Section 25-11-10 of the SC Code provides that the Office of Veterans' Affairs shall assist all ex-service personnel, regardless of wars in which their service may have been rendered, in filing, presenting and prosecuting to final determination all claims which they have for money compensation, hospitalization, training and insurance benefits under the terms of federal legislation. These services are extended to eligible dependents, including parents, widows, children and orphans of ex-service personnel. The Office administers the Free Tuition Program for certain war Veterans' children. It also must provide administrative support for the Veterans' Trust Fund Board of Trustees. In addition, the Office is mandated to provide trainingfor the forty six County Veterans' Affairs Officers.